Sunny Girl and I are on a continuing journey down a road which will lead us to ultimate weight-loss success. We invite you to join us. We strive to live healthier lives as we loose the weight which has held us back for so long.

Village Members..

3/28/09

To weigh or not to weigh...


For me... that is the question.

Hi, my name is Don, and I am over 450 pounds (oh my God.. I said it.. my big secret.. ). 

I absolutely know I am loosing weight. My big concern is this... in the past when I have weighed while dieting, I got so focused on weighing and needing to see a reduction every day (I know, you should only weigh once a week at most), that I became obsessed. This led to an emotional roller coster, high when I saw a loss, devastated when I didn't. 

There were two problems with this cycle. First, I shouldn't expect to see a loss every day and second, I shouldn't have been weighing every day. BUT, I couldn't help myself.. the scale was the driving force that was keeping me committed to the plan (that was my worst mistake).

I have thought a lot about this issue, and decided, at least for a while, not to weigh, but rather, look for changes in the way I feel and the way I physically interact with the world. At first they will be small changes, but each sign will be an encouragement to me, and I won't need a seat belt or a barf bag.

For now, not having to 'worry' about weighing has allowed me to just concentrate on being focused and committed, without that 'self imposed' pressure and stress. I will get to the point where I have control over this, and want to start weighing once a week. 

I will, however, within the next few weeks, weigh and post my exact weight, because I do want to know where I started.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I've too much to say here, so off to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read both of your "heartfelt" comments this morning...verbalizing those raw feelings in it self is a "weight" off your shoulders,never mind the pounds off your body! What the two of you have accomplished in a just a few short weeks is WONDERFUL,AMAZING.To weigh or not to weigh certainly is a personal matter but if the thought of doing it brings so much doubt&apprehension my advice would be to wait a bit longer....the signs are there for actual pounds lost,you can feel/see them,I can hear them slipping away.Love and Hugs,Galpal

    ReplyDelete